Friday, May 23, 2014

My return to college after a 20 year hiatus


The 2014 winter semester at North Central Michigan College marked my return to college after a twenty year absence.  My intention was to finish my photography/cinematography degree I abandoned in 1993.  My wife encouraged me to seek a grant to cover expenses.  The grant I received provided enough money not only to finish my previous degree, but to start work on another one.  There was just one major catch.  In order to receive the full amount of funds, I would have to attend full-time.  Through the support of my family and friends, I decided to plunge in head first.  There were still other hurdles to overcome in order to transition back into college.  However, the staff and faculty at North Central Michigan College made my transition back to college smooth and simple.
The eagerness of the office staff to help with my educational journey was reassuring.  Two individuals at the main campus in particular, Nikki Morris and Christine Breed, made the transition back to college straightforward.  They helped me enroll, transfer my credits and arrange my financial aid.  Their communication with me through every step of the process was outstanding.  When it came time to take my English placement exam, the personnel at the University Center in Gaylord were extremely helpful.  One such person, Michelle Andrews, was very encouraging, thorough and pleasant.  Her cheerful and engaging demeanor put me at ease concerning the test.  Additionally, her kind words regarding my score on the placement test were a real reassurance to me.

North Central Michigan College main campus


Since North Central Michigan College offers, online, hybrid and off site classes, the transition back to college was almost painless.  The online course, Introduction to Computers, allowed me the flexibility to work ahead so as not to fall behind in other courses.  In addition, structured online courses such as Human Biology and English Composition helped me set priorities in order to stay on track.  The Introduction to Programming Logic course, held at Petoskey High School, although it is a ninety-eight mile round trip each Thursday was worth the drive.  The ability to participate in courses in a variety of ways, provides an uncomplicated means to return to college.
The instructors at North Central Michigan College really care about my educational and career goals.  A major concern with the transition back to college is the question of guidance and direction.  Since I am an older student, I have no time to waste. I needed to be shown the most effective path.  Both Fred Harrington and Howard Bates have been invaluable resources for advice.  Fred took the time to listen to me via several e-mail conversations and left the door open for additional in-person meetings.  Howard provided several insights into which fields in computer science are growing and which are dying.  Both Fred and Howard have provide very informative feedback on which direction to achieve my educational and career goals.



Overall, I recommend North Central Michigan College to anyone who wants to continue their education.  The college is large enough to serve the needs of the community, yet small enough to be involved with each individual student.  The college’s staff and faculty care enough to make the transition, no matter your stage of life, to college as easy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment